ANOTHER FORGIVENESS LEARNING TOOL
Some years back, after reading The Disappearance of the Universe, by Gary Renard, Norbert compiled some extensive notes for self study purposes pertaining to forgiveness. The 3 components found below, as well as much of the material in “Supplemental Thoughts” are derived from Gary Renard’s book and much of the remaining material comes from various sections of “The Course.”
This material is shared with you because I found it helpful in my own study and practice of forgiveness. Perhaps something here will help you as well.BUILDING A STRONG ATTITUDE OF FORGIVENESS ( THE COMPONENTS OF TRUE FORGIVENESS )
1. REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE DREAMING. You are the author of the dream, nobody else. (You are the cause, not the effect.) As such, you made the figures in it to act out for you so you could see your unconscious guilt outside of yourself. Since you are dreaming, then there’s nothing out there but your own projection. Once you know it’s a dream, then you realize it’s contents cannot be true; since you made the dreams up, you need not be afraid of them. The most simple and effective approach to this is to accept that we are dreaming; then we CAN accept that we truly are INNOCENT, for NOTHING in any dream is real. Dreams have no REAL effects, therefore we have NOTHING to feel guilty about—and nothing to forgive, really, because no one did anything in dreams that matters one bit to Reality. Be aware that the ego, which insisted on making it all appear solid and real in the first place, will scream “foul” though the emotional ‘body’, and can get particularly upset by such a simple notion. Try this, in the meantime: ”ALL ARE INNOCENT BECAUSE ALL ARE DREAMING AND DREAMS HAVE NO EFFECTS — NOT MINE, NOT ANYONE’S…I AM INNOCENT!!! This has worked extremely well for some, and has drawn the puzzle pieces perfectly together, which in ACIM terms is known as accepting the Atonement (At-One-Ment with God). Can you imagine God NOT BEING INNOCENT?????…..Well, God cannot imagine YOU NOT BEING INNOCENT —- AT-ONE-MENT—Isn’t THAT something!!! 2. FORGIVE THE PROJECTED IMAGES AND YOURSELF FOR DREAMING THEM.
You forgive your brother for what he has NOT done; this is TRUE FORGIVENESS, because you’re not making the error real. Now then, forgive yourself for dreaming this whole mess. Nothing has happened; you are innocent. As you forgive your brothers, your mind realizes simultaneously that you yourself are forgiven. Since the figures in your dream are not really out there, then what is REALLY out there is the Christ. If you choose to see that, instead of what your body’s eyes show you, then that must be what YOU are (the CHRIST). Remember, however, that you should not expect others to agree with you. Remembering that whatever is not an expression of love is actually a call for love, see their call for love as your call for love. Your job is to forgive, not to beg for the agreement of those seemingly separated minds you are forgiving. (People will not be able to accept the necessary prevalent attitude that this is a dream if they are not ready to forgive. The ego wants what it made to be real). Be grateful for those you would be tempted to accuse of sin in any form. These images are symbolic of what’s in your unconscious mind and without them, your unconscious guilt would be forever hidden from you—without those images you see and the miracle, you’d never be able to find the way out. There would be no escape. True forgiveness is the only way out of the dream. It causes you to be rejoined with what your really are. You are telling the world and the bodily images you see that their behavior can’t have any effect on you, and if they can’t have any effect on you, then they don’t really exist separately from you. Thus there is no separation of any kind in Reality.3. TRUST THE HOLY SPIRIT AND CHOOSE HIS STRENGTH. The peace of the Holy Spirit will be given to you if you do your job. HE will heal the larger, unconscious mind that is hidden from you and give you HIS peace at the same time. All this will lead you to the Kingdom of Heaven, for along with the Holy Spirit, you are doing the work that leads to the condition of peace—which is the condition of the Kingdom. Forgiveness is actually preparing you to re-enter the Kingdom of Heaven! To put it another way, doing the forgiveness piece relentlessly will cause you to gradually wake up from the dream. With this information you are learning and doing about forgiveness, you should trust that the Holy Spirit is doing His job to make you prepared for Heaven. Don’t worry about how things appear on the surface, even if it looks like people are not accepting your forgiveness. That doesn’t matter. The Holy Spirit will hold your forgiveness in their minds until they’re ready to accept it. As such, He is bridging the gap that seems to be in between the different aspects of your mind and make you whole again.
- REMEMBER YOU’RE DREAMING. (The cause identified—your part. Make it your habit to remember.)
- FORGIVE BOTH THE PROJECTED IMAGES AND YOURSELF FOR DREAMING THEM. (Your part)
- TRUST THE HOLY SPIRIT AND CHOOSE HIS STRENGTH. (Cause replaced—The Holy Spirit’s part)
SOME ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS about FORGIVENESS
- Your dream that the separation from God is real is the CAUSE of the problem; the Holy Spirit’s forgiveness is the SOLUTION. ONE PROBLEM; ONE SOLUTION. On a very practical level, you would do well to understand that the problem is always some form of grievance that you would cherish. The solution is always a miracle with which you let the grievance be replaced. Invite the solution to come to you through your forgiveness of the grievance and welcome the miracle that takes its place.
- Lesson 46 “God is the Love in which I forgive” is most revealing. “God does not forgive because He has never condemned. And there must be condemnation before forgiveness is necessary. Forgiveness is the great need of this world, but that is because it is a world of illusions. Those who forgive are thus releasing themselves from illusions, while those who withhold forgiveness are binding themselves to them. As you condemn only yourself, so do you forgive only yourself. Yet although God does not forgive, His Love is nevertheless the basis of forgiveness. Fear condemns and love forgives. Forgiveness thus undoes what fear has produced, returning the mind to the awareness of God. For this reason, forgiveness can truly be called salvation. It is the means by which illusions disappear.”
- ONENESS. Through forgiveness, you are becoming aware that you are the same as Jesus and the Holy Spirit—One with God and Christ AND with all your brothers.
- True forgiveness is the REAL purpose of life. You’ve got to choose it to make it yours. If you really learn how to forgive and actually DO it, your return to your true home, to God, MUST eventually follow. You cannot be the judge of how or when that will occur.
- Forgiveness opens your heart to Love. As a teacher of God (in training?), you know you want to teach ONLY Love, for that is what you are. You don’t have to try to be loving; love will be revealed naturally. Forgive, and it must follow, as day follows night, that you will experience love as being what you are. All right, so you feel that’s not enough, right? Well, it is, but if you must do something more, then just ask for help in loving everything and everyone, and just watch how it fills you up with more love. Anything else is an idea of the ego which is keeping you thinking there is more to do. Just practice that love is all there is and it’s yours forever….because it already IS yours forever.
- Forgiveness is the source of healing; but it is the messenger of love and not its Source. Here you are led, that God Himself can take the final step unhindered, for here does nothing interfere with love, letting it be itself. A step beyond this holy place of forgiveness, a step still further inward but the one you cannot take, transports you to something completely different. Here is the Source of light; nothing perceived, forgiven nor transformed. But merely known.
- Forgiveness does not mean you have to give up anything on the level of form. While you’re busy reversing the thinking of the world, you don’t have to neglect your personal life and the things you want to accomplish. However, be mindful of the fact that psychological attachment is one of the ways the ego clings to the body and the world. It masks your unconscious resistance to the truth that there is no world. Dreams and passions are really false idols—a substitute for God and Heaven. There is nothing wrong with your dream(s) IF you understand them and forgive them. By knowing these things are idols, or substitutes for God projected into YOUR dream script, you can forgive them at the same time. Just don’t try to make them real, especially now that you know what’s going on. Forgive and then do what you and the Holy Spirit, together, choose.
- ATTITUDE: An attitude is mental position with regard to a fact. To succeed at forgiveness it is best to take it up as an attitude. Thus, it is not something you do once and then forget about if you don’t get the results your ego would have you see immediately. The attitude suggested is that you look at the dream figures and think to yourself, “The guilt I thought was in you isn’t in you; it’s really in me, because there’s really only one of us and you’re just a figure I made up for my dream script. I can forgive myself by forgiving you, and only by forgiving you, because you’re symbolic of what’s in my unconscious mind. If you’re guilty then I’m guilty, but if you’re innocent, then I’m innocent.” Then, through TRUE FORGIVENESS (forgiving “both” of you for what neither of you has actually done) your mind starts to know it is REALLY innocent. The conflict diminishes as you keep doing it. If it appears you are forgiving the same images over and over again, simply accept it’s really just more guilt that’s come up to be forgiven and released. As you do your forgiveness homework, which means you forgive whatever disturbs your peace, large or small, then know you are going with the Holy Spirit toward Heaven. The Holy Spirit will take care of your images so they can go there too. To help you remember to forgive, that is to take up the forgiveness attitude, treat everyone you come across as though they were the Jesus you love.
- TO GET TO THE POINT WHERE TRUTH BECOMES YOUR EXPERIENCE, IT TAKES WORK. Do the forgiveness; think forgiveness and remember, forgiveness is done silently. Do the Course, friend, and don’t dumb it down. Rather, MEAN the words when you say “I WANT THE PEACE OF GOD”. To mean you want the peace of God is to renounce all dreams. You demonstrate that through your forgiveness toward whatever unpleasantness shows up at any given time. This is how you pull the plug on psycho planet. Remember that everything that comes up in your face represents the lessons the Holy Spirit would have you learn. You won’t always do them perfectly or even well. You may even have to do some of them later. That’s not a problem, because a memory is just as real an image as any other. Forgive them and be free—and save the world at the same time by concentrating on your OWN forgiveness lessons, not somebody else’s. When you fully realize you are guiltless, your mind will no longer suffer.
- UNPLEASANT SURPRISES is what the ego loves to pull on you, because that’s what the apparent separation was, a VERY unpleasant surprise. Any kind of upset, from mild discomfort to outright anger, is a warning sign that your hidden guilt is rising up from the recesses of your unconscious mind. See that discomfort as the guilt that needs to be released by forgiving the symbol you associate with it. The ego wants you to see the guilt as being outside of you by projecting the reason for it onto an illusory image; to put some distance between you and the guilt. The ego wants to trick you into thinking you’re getting rid of your unconscious guilt when you project it onto others by making them wrong, or condemning them, or blaming certain circumstances for your problems, or the world’s problems. Any suitable object or person will suffice. This works VERY EFFECTIVELY for the ego, for projection always follows denial. People will either project this repressed guilt onto others, OR correctly forgive it. To successfully turn the tables on the ego, be alert for the warning sign (discomfort or anger) and then stop reacting and start forgiving. That’s how you’ll win.
- LEARN WHAT TIME IS FOR. As Jesus says, “save time, my brother; learn what time is for”. The purpose of time is to forgive. That is the only viable answer to life. TRUE forgiveness IS the means by which you will remember. And remembrance brings with it all the Gifts you were given in your Creation. This IS what you are longing for. ADDED 3/7/04: We can collapse time through the miracle offered us by practicing the art of forgiving our projection(s). This collapse substitutes learning which might have taken thousands of years otherwise.
- YOUR CHOICE FOR THE HOLY SPIRIT VS. the ego. All forgiveness thoughts, done exactly right or not, represent your choice for Jesus or the Holy Spirit as your Teacher, which is THE HOLY INSTANT. As you forgive and see your brothers as innocent as you are, then that IS the miracle. As forgiveness thoughts become dominant in your mind, it can’t help but mean the Holy Spirit is taking over. When you join with your brothers as one in Christ, then that IS the Holy Relationship. Remember, however, that you’ve got to have the forgiveness thoughts and ideas in your mind in order for them to become dominant. Using these ideas and thoughts will see them become dominant. And, as you deepen your studies in the Course, they will become a permanent part of you.
- A TRUE FORGIVENESS THOUGHT PROCESS EXAMPLE (Getting into the habit of forgiveness.) “You’re not really there. If I think you are guilty or the cause of the problem, and if I made you up, then the imagined guilt and fear must be in me. Since the separation from God never occurred, I forgive “both” of us for what we haven’t really done. New there is only innocence, and I join with the Holy Spirit in peace”. Feel free to improvise this thought process, while maintaining the basic ideas. Be aware that the Holy Spirit will remember to remove the unconscious guilt from your mind and perform His healing of the universe when you forgive. (That’s His job and He’s really good at it). Just remember to do YOUR JOB, if not immediately, then later on.
• Full credit for the above information is given to Jeshua (Jesus Christ) as revealed to us through A Course in Miracles; as given to my friend and teacher, Karen Langley; as found in The Disappearance of the Universe, by Gary Renard; as found in the booklet entitled Supplements to A Course in Miracles, which includes Psychotherapy–Purpose, Process and Practice and The Song of Prayer—Prayer, Forgiveness, Healing.
· Compiled by Norbert C. Belanger for self study purposes. and shared with you for the same purpose and hopefully to help you remember who and what you are, always have been and always will be, the true and holy Son of God.
(Blog Ref: TG-104)